Thursday 27 January 2011

Balquhiddar and Meall an Fhiodhain

The ridge itself posed no problems as it is very wide and flat. It was at snow level but I had no problem walking because it was hard snow that I could kick into on the steeper parts. It was pleasant walking as there was little wind and the sun was breaking through the clouds.



The other two summits on the ridge, Cam Chreag (812 meters) and Meall an Fhiodhain (817 meters) both have steep crags on their flanks so care would have to be taken in the mist if you were not aware they were there. This photo is looking back towards the crags on Meall an Fhiodhain with the summit of Meall an t Seallaidh in the distance.



I started a diagonal descent to the south and below the cliffs of Leum an Eireannaich which marks the eastern end of the ridge. It felt like a day in spring in the sunshine. I disturbed a small herd of deer.



The long cold snows of December didn’t seem to have slowed them down.



Stobinnian and Ben More seen from below the cliffs of Leum an Eireannaich



I then headed for Rob Roy’s Putting stone. Its big enough to be marked on the OS map so I wondered what it would look like. It was first climbed in 1899 and you can read about that climb in the SMC Journals on line at this link

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/smcj/smcj029/smcj02904.htm





Another view of Rob Roy’s putting stone below the cliffs of Leum an Eireannaich



Then it was a brisk march back down Kirkton Glen to get back to the car and home. Its the best walk I have had this year..and although the year has only begun, I think it could be a while before I can better this one :-D



No comments: