Sunday 23 January 2011

Balquhidder and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Before starting the slog up the hillside, I took a look at the old sheep pens at the edge of the forest. Although there were still sheep on the hillside, it looked like the pens were no longer used. At one time the sheep would have been driven in one end, dipped to kill the parasites like tics etc, then let out the other side. Now its no longer a legal requirement to dip sheep and I often wonder if thats why I get so many tics during the warmer weather ?

The view to the west of the sheep pens revealed the hills on the other side of Kirkton Glen



The relentless steep slog began. I didn’t mind it much as I knew I was gaining height very quickly and I was still fresh as the walk was just beginning. I zig zagged to break the gradient and tried to follow the sheep tracks where they existed. The view over to the east was stunning. Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin dominated the skyline.



While Beinn an t –Sidhein stood proud to the south. At only 572 meters high, it offers great views over Loch Lubnaig although I couldn’t see the loch from this hill.



However the view along Loch Voil to the west must be one of the best of that particular loch



Once I reached the shoulder leading to Meall an t- Seallaidh I got my first views of Loch Earn to the east.



Walking north along the shoulder, I finally I saw the top I was heading for. Meall an T Seallaidh..the hill of the views .. and the views will follow shortly :-D

No comments: