Sunday 16 January 2011

The Ochil Hills and Dumyat

Its funny how we can let ourselves go, get really out of shape and not notice it happen. Six years ago I quit smoking and became quite overweight. I could hardly walk the length of myself and had little drive to do anything more strenuous than go for a trip in the car.

Then one day I decided to get myself fit again. I packed my rucksack full of sandwiches and coffee then set off to climb Dumyat from the road to Sherrifmuir. It took most of the day doing it and I ached by the time I got home. However, on the way to the top, I dreamed of all the mountains that I climbed as a youngster. I decided to revisit them again.

Now I run up and down Dumyat without a full rucksack or even a bar of chocolate. I’m fitter than I was at half my age .. a lot wiser too. It was all thanks to that walk on the Ochils, no wonder its a favourite short walk of mine. I have walked it in all weathers too. This was a day from the recent cold spell

Looking towards the Wallace monument and Stirling from the path near the start.



Looking back towards Ben Lomond and Ben Ledi from the path.



Looking towards Grangemouth and the river Forth



Looking towards Ben Ledi , Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich from higher up the path



This is the only time I have noticed this rock looking like a kneeling bishop ? I guess it was the angle of the sun that spot lit him.



Looking over Alva and Tillicoulty From near the summit



The Summit cairn and memorial to the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders

No comments: