Tuesday 24 May 2011

Skye and Bla Bheinn

With the recent gale force winds still putting the wind up me about going out in the boat, and the coming weekend's weather still looking unsettled, I have decided to continue my blog journey around the beautiful Island of Skye.

I stopped my last Skye posting at Torrin on the road to Elgol so the next post must be of Bla Bheinn or Blaven as its more commonly known. Many think it is one of the most scenic mountains in the UK and I have to agree, especially when seen across Loch Slapin. Its also a fine mountain to climb, standing at 928m above sea level. I have yet to see the views from its summit but the last time I went up it, I almost saw the scenery.

The walk follows the Allt na Dunaiche burn and heads for Coire Uaigneich before becoming a steep slog up the rocky outcrops that form the mountain summit.
Allt na Dunaiche with Blaven in the background.



The burn has some lovely waterfalls and after a long walk back, many people find the cool water very soothing on weary feet. That is the main reason I never drink from the burns when I hill walk.



Although the path becomes very steep on the rocky slopes, there is no great feeling of exposure as the path keeps about 20 meters away from the cliff edges.



This view is make from four photographs joined together to make a panorama of Loch Slapin. Another 20 meters forward and there is vertical drops of around 1000 feet back into Coire Uaigneich.



Eventually the path offers a fantastic view to the west looking towards Sgurr nan Gillean on the Black Cuillin with Marsco in the mid ground. There is a short scramble up a rocky chimney just after this view to gain access to the summit.



Sadly, on this visit, thats where the cloud started and I finished my walk in the mist. I still kept 20 meters from the cliff edges though.



Finally I found the trig point which marks the summit. It just looks like any other. When the mist is down, there are no great views to be seen anywhere.

No comments: