Tuesday 12 July 2011

Kyles of Bute, Kames and Tighnabruaich

I was up and raring to go before the sun was up. The water was calm and the air warm. I wanted to get the boat off the end of the slip before low tide made it difficult because of the step at the end of the ramp.



I got the boat rigged and loaded with its fishing gear while still on the trailer, then I simply reversed to within ten feet of the water, stopping just above the slippery slip weed. I then lowered the trailer and boat to the water's edge with a rope wrapped around the tow hitch.



Moments later I was slowly motoring up the Kames coast, trolling a mackerel lure as I went.



It was a beautiful morning and there was not a soul in sight. The locals were still in the land of nod as I bobbed about in my boat.



I soon left the village of Kames behind as I headed for its northern neighbour, the village of Tighnabruaich



I recalled the paddle steamers of the past as I passed the pier at Tighnabruaich. I remembered going “doon the water” as a lad on the Duchess of Hamilton. It was always a summer treat going on a boat trip back then. It still is.

I wondered where the PS Waverley was as I knew it was still in service..somewhere ? It’s the last of the seagoing paddle steamers in the world and still stops at this pier if it is in the area.



Clearing Tighnabruaich, I was now heading for the narrows of the Kyles of Bute. I had not caught a single thing but I was perfectly happy. Every once in a while a black fin and arched back would quietly break the surface not too far from the boat. They were very quick, too quick to get a photograph but I loved watching for them. They were porpoise, smaller and a lot shyer than dolphins but quite common to see in the Kyles of Bute

No comments: