Sunday 14 August 2011

Skye and the lead up to Idrigill Point

To my delight and relief the sea remained sleeping as I approached the natural arch shown on the O.S. maps. I had missed seeing it on my cliff walk several years before but now it was directly in front and at sea level. It didn’t disappoint as its the largest I have seen yet :-D



If the tide had been in I would have tried getting the boat through its archway but sadly, with the tide out, it was full of rocks.



As I continued past the natural arch I couldn’t help but think of the second L.P. record I ever bought as a kid. It was Deep Purple in Rock and the cover depicted a cliff with the bands heads carved in the rock, emulating the Presidents of America at Mount Rushmore. On the cliffs around the arch I could see many fallen hero’s of my distant past looking out to sea.



Looking back, the sound of the swell rolling gently in the rocks and amplified by the acoustics of the arch sounded like the quiet but firm blues organ instrumental starting the track “Sweet Child in Time”



A quick check across the full width of Loch Bracadale towards Harloch Island and Tarner Island showed the sea was still sleeping.



This calmed my own thoughts as I now set my sights on Idrigill point, which is the entrance to Loch Bracadale. I knew the Maiden’s lay some distance beyond the point and in the open and exposed Sea of the Hebrides. I heard the pace of “Sweet Child in Time” start to quicken and move towards a crescendo as I neared the point .......



"And if you have been bad ....
Oh Lord I bet you have ....
You Better Close your eyes
And bow your head ...
And wait for the ricochet ...

Ohhhhh...ohhhhh.... "

No comments: