Tuesday 20 September 2011

Loch Ailort and Eilean nan Gobhar

Leaving Glenuig Bay, we set our course for Eilean Nan Gobhar in the middle of the entrance to Loch Ailort. If you have followed this blog for a while, you will know that I explored the beautiful Loch Ailort by inflatable boat last year and landed on Eilean nan Gobhar.



It was turning into a beautiful afternoon as we made our way to the island. The sea was calm and so were our moods. I think the beauty of the scenery even soothed the pain in Douglas’s leg.

At one point he shouted across..” This is what it’s all about Donald..things could be much worse.. we could be at work”

I nodded in agreement, in fact I took it to heart.

I handed my notice in on the second day back at work. I just couldn’t face another cold winter in the grey industrial mist where I work. I’m taking “a year out” and changing direction and its long overdue. Will I regret it ? You will just have to follow my blog to find out as even I dont know my future :-D

Im afraid that going on amazing journeys like this tend to change lives.

First we past the seaward side of Sgeir Ghlas, which is the dark island in the foreground. Rois Bheinn is the mountain in the misty background.



The rock ribs of Eilean nan Gobhar and the patchwork colours of the steep stoney slopes on the hills, looked splendid in the low afternoon sun.



The bothy at Peanmeanach stood proud in the surrounding ruins of the deserted village on the north shore of Loch Ailort. I hope to spend more time in that area next summer... when I have lots of time on my hands :-D



Although we didn’t go into Loch Ailort this time, I walked along its shores a couple of evening later to take some photographs. This is the public slipway at the start of Loch Ailort. Its not far after leaving the A830 and is easily missed. If you reach the mussel farm, you have gone too far.



This is the slip after the mussel farm and belongs to them. I believe if you ask permission they don’t object to using it but don’t block its entrance with a car or trailer..there is a lay by a hundred yards further down the road to park after launching a boat here.



This is a couple of views of the loch at low water. Its a shallow loch, full of little islands and has a charm all of its own.





This is the reason I decided not to try living only on the fish that I caught and the shellfish I collected for the duration of my holiday. The algal bloom poison was evident in the area :-(



Which reminds me ..after passing Eilean nan Gobhar.. we were both hungry so it was time to land again ...

2 comments:

David A said...

Hi Donny, being on the water always seems to bring out the poet in people. You said: “The sea was calm and so were our moods”. Fine words indeed. You also stated: “I just couldn’t face another cold winter in the grey industrial mist where I work. I’m taking “a year out” and changing direction and its long overdue. Will I regret it ?”. You would regret it, if you didn’t do it. You will be living many people’s dreams. I do hope I meet up with you sometime at Peanmeanach. It is a special place, it would be good to share a fire and see who could tell the tallest fishing tale. Keep on typing, I’m already looking forward to the next instalment.

David A

Donny Wilcox said...

Hi again David, thanks for your kind words.

Yup, you are right too… If I didn’t do it and stayed in the grey industrial mist.. then I was only burying my head in the sand and not being true to myself.

Life is the amazing journey, and not just the few days discovering the coast from Loch Nevis to Ardnamurchan.

However, like my boat trip, we have to know when its time to shelter when the seas of life become too rough, or to rest and eat when we become weak and hungry. We have to learn to navigate with the tides of time to make life enjoyable instead of fighting against it.

I have a little poster on my fridge door that reads
Life is a journey,
Seize the moment… Look through Every Window… and Live your dreams

How’s that for waxing lyrically :-D