Saturday 22 October 2011

Dunnethead Lighthouse and foggy memories

Perhaps it may surprise some, but John O Groats is not the most northerly point of mainland Scotland. Dunnethead and its lighthouse is 2.35 miles further north than John O Groats and it is the most northerly point.

I went to photograph the lighthouse several times at sunsetbut as is very common in the area, the north sea haar engulfed it long before the sun started to fade. However a little perseverance soon paid off and I got the following shots.

I confess that Im sorry the fog horns no longer sound along our coasts on foggy nights. I remember listening to the low tones and finding the noise as comforting as the rain of the window pain, when I was tucked up warm in bed on a cold dark winters night. The sound is only a distant memory now.










No comments: