Tuesday 7 November 2017

Into The Wilderness .. an Introduction

I also recall that my deep sleep in the mists of time on Ben Lawers was because of a gradual decline in my normal interests and hobbies. I could not put my finger on why it was happening ..I presumed it was just the way things go as we age. ?

I knew I was healthy enough ..after all I celebrated my 60th Birthday by clambering up sixty different munros that year ..and the sixtieth was Ben Wyvis because it was the first munro I ever went up..as a youngster when my parents lived in Dingwall.







In fact I completed at total of 74 different Munros that year ..and I don’t know how many lesser hills as I never counted those.

That was only two years ago .. but the following year ..I hardly climbed any hills ?

I couldn’t understand the lack of motivation . Then out the blue ..I started suffering severe chest pains. These forced me to visit a doctor. That was an unusual thing for me to do because like the mountains I love.. I always took it for granted that I would be here forever too.

I now realise I should have my system serviced on a regular basis ..just as I do with the car.

The doctor checked me out .. sent me for some tests .. then said “There is quite a lot wrong with you”

I laughed and said..”Im ok..just sort these pains I get occasionally”

The pains were sorted.. my gall bladder was removed ..

The pains were cured..but I was still slowing down ..dramatically

I went back to the doc and he asked .. “do you drink much Alcohol ?”

I lied just a little .. ”No Im tea total..well almost ..why ?”

He said .. “Hmm..Its just that your liver is going to die before you do ..unless we can service it”

I didn’t quite know how to handle that news .. but it did give me the motivation to go into the wilderness of the north of Scotland to make a Gopro movie I called “Into the Wilderness”


This is a Preview and Introduction to the movie.

(For info .. the “Wilderness” I refer to is my journey accepting the fact my liver was pretty goosed. I knew I could live without a gall bladder. I didn't care about that as it didn't care about me .. but a liver is a different organ and story altogether. )















No comments: