Friday 29 December 2017

North Third Reservoir and the Sony AX53

Before taking the Sony camcorder on my hill walks ... I wanted to try a final test. To record in the highest quality of 4K at 100mbits per second. I took it on a local walk where I used to regularly take "Holly" my old dog.

I took a tripod with me too as I wanted to see how it would fit in my filming techniques. I soon discovered that at high zoom levels.. I was better off hand holding the camcorder. The reason being .. the wind vibrated the camera and tripod which caused annoying shake. The camcorders in built stabilisation system detects its on a tripod and switches itself off ? The tripod head I used was for a camera and not a video camera..so it was difficult to pan with. Touching controls to zoom also shook the footage.

Once set and if there was no wind..it worked great ..but there is generally strong winds on mountain tops.. so for now I wont lug it up the hills. Hand held will give steadier footage.

I tried the tripod on some swans ..hoping for some great steady footage. Again..I think a monopod would possibly be better for wild life. Even swans swim around and go out of frame quite quickly.



However the footage was good when they sat still for a few seconds. The swans were approx. 300 meters from me.

The 4K video quality doesn't show on my computer screen or normal TV. The files produced are huge and would soon swamp my hard drive space. The computer I have which is only a year old .. slows right down trying to edit the footage ... so again .. for me the 4K quality is not worth recording. The full HD quality footage at 50 frames per second is more than excellent for my needs

Here is the test video I made using the 4K footage converted to HD for U Tube viewing




Direct Link on U Tube..




No comments: